Monday, June 11, 2012

Day One


Day One:
Well, day two of being here, but day one of work. At first I arrived apprehensive and very afraid a spider was going to eat my face off. I unpacked in the basement, my roommate (the other intern) was visiting home and wouldn’t be back until later that night. I explored our bunk beds, saw she had settled into the bottom bunk and eyed the top spotting several large leggy creatures nestled in the window sill by where my head was meant to go. So I did what any self respecting 21 year old female would, I climbed up and reached for the shade to pull it over the problem.  If I can’t see them they can’t see me, right? Well, I pulled and the carcass of their brethren unraveled with the shade. Great. Ok well, what the hell did you expect? It is Eureka IL and you’re on a farm…if I was on twitter this would be a hashtag moment, something like #farmlife #America.  Fast forward through me eating lots of peanut butter out of the jar, my room mate arrives; it is late and we chat for about 5 minutes until it is straight to bed to be up and out by 7am. I curl as far from the window as possible, jam head phones in my ears, and drift to sleep.
Day one of farming we weed all morning and in the midst of weeding my room mate spots a giant spider, and asks if I like spiders to which I respond appropriately with, “uh hell no” , she points out the cool looking monster carrying its egg and I twitch while saying I found a giant one in the tub last night, but I was too scared to kill it so I just shut the curtain (again I'm an adult guys, I know how to hide shit and pretend it isn't there). And just then as I am remembering how gross the tub bug was, choir music began to play, the heavens opened up , and light bathed her face as she said “Oh really, I can take care of it when we get back inside.” Done, and done...
Alright Eureka Illinois, I think this is going to work out. 
- PB&J

No comments:

Post a Comment